- Each chapter is taught over several lessons, with each lesson focusing on a topic.
- Each lesson teaches one or more concepts. Each concept is taught using a two-part structure of Let’s Learn and Let’s Do.
- Let’s Learn introduces the concept using the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach.
- Let’s Do provides guided practice and formative assessment.
- Practice Book exercises reinforce learning and provide independent practice.
- At the end of each lesson, Practice consolidates learning and provides summative assessment.
- Each concept in Let's Learn is taught using the three-stage Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach.
- Concrete: Physical materials are used in hands-on activities to develop conceptual understanding.
- Pictorial: Visuals are used to represent physical materials previously used to connect mathematical ideas.
- Abstract: Number and mathematical symbols are used as a final presentation of concepts and skills.
- Consistent lesson design and icons make lesson delivery intuitive for teachers.
- Speech bubble provides prompt for teacher to guide students' thought process.
- Think About It develops metacognitive skills through mathematical reasoning and justification.
- Thought bubble models the thinking process to train students to monitor their own thinking.
- The Bar Model Method allows students to solve complex word problems using visual representation.
At the end of each chapter,
a problem solving lesson consolidates learning.
- Explicit teaching of the four-step UPAC process builds good problem solving habits.
- Explicit teaching of nine heuristics equips students to tackle different types of word problems.
- Word problems enable students to apply the concepts learnt and make mathematics relevant to daily life.
- A checklist accompanies every word problem to reinforce the four-step process.
- Mind Stretcher is a non-routine task to develop higher order thinking skills.
- Let's Remember Worksheet in the Teacher’s Manual assesses students' recall and mastery of precursor knowledge.
Objective and chapter reference of each task are provided in Teacher's Manual if there is a need for remediation.
Tasks in Let's Remember Worksheet are systematically varied to ensure full review.